Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Path of the Warrior Pt.9: The Future



It seems reasonable to me that having begun the first post in this series with the origins of the Warrior in prehistory that the last post have an eye to the future.  When I began thinking on this project months ago it was because I looked at mainstream culture and found myself woefully disappointed by their concepts of Warriors.  The concept is always that the Warrior is some elite force, hell bent on violence and domination rather than the intrinsic spirit to fight back against injustice in a variety of ways that do not always require the use of force.  I am for the latter.  On the other hand, being a Warrior to me is an elite calling.  It is not for everyone though anyone can choose to become a Warrior.  It requires courage and sacrifice, much like military service, but it also requires educating yourself to the needs of your tribe and being a resource to that community.  While it is important to recognize the many traits of Warriors, I also recognize that my mission at the outset was fundamentally flawed.  It is not for me to tell others they are wrong about whatever they consider to be a "Warrior" and as much as I might like to try and convince people otherwise it shouldn't be necessary to do it in this manner.  That is what anyone is trying to do when they "redefine" something.  They are attempting to throw out the previous definition in favor of their own.  With an eye to the future, it is a bad idea to start out anything in that manner.

What the future holds I doubt anyone can say for certain.  We all have our ideas.  I see a future of increasingly depleted resources due to the limited availability of fossil fuels among other things.  The Earth itself is finite and the energy we can take from it is finite as well.  Even the technologies that allow us to get energy from other resources, like the sun, are limited in that they require support systems based on petroleum products to remain viable.  Even if we were to suddenly switch to more sustainable energy practices worldwide, the depletion of oil and the impact of humanity’s folly in its applications will still be seen and felt for generations.  The fact is that even if we have not peaked, we will eventually and there are enough people out there making enough money that telling us the truth is not in their best interests.  There are many ideas out there about what the future may look like but it is increasingly obvious that the prospects tend to be dimly viewed by most.  Even in the seemingly utopian futures created by science fiction the only peace we find seems to be among the stars and not here upon the bosom of our Mother.  Others see a future of economic decline unrelated to resources and others see a dystopian future run by machines or aliens.  There are some who still see a utopia in which humanity lives in conjunction with the natural rhythms of the Earth.  As much as I want to see this and expect that eventually that is what will have to happen in order for our species to survive, we are yet a long way from that.  What I do know is that our future is certain to hold human beings otherwise we have no future and it does no harm to prepare for that future whatever it may look like.

As a person who practices an Earth based spirituality, it seems very apparent to me that whatever the future actually holds, our cultural concerns should be geared towards living as a part of nature as much as we can.  I believe that we should create strong traditions and instill those traditions in our children.  Even if they do not follow our traditions into adulthood, they will remember and perhaps, when the time comes that those traditions develop a greater value for them they will remember to practice them and so on down the line of succession from generation to generation.

The method by which to do this has several necessary steps.  The establishment of respect and recognition for our ancestors, the acknowledgement of all people regardless of sex as being equal partners with one another and the encouragement of all people among the tribe to recognize all others equally and with empathy.  We will, someday, be the ancestors of others whether or not we procreate and create those ancestors along bloodlines.  This is true because we are members of communities and tribes and my child will undoubtedly begin to acknowledge the traditions of the community as much as our own day to day family traditions as he will practice them with us.  The founding of traditions now that will incorporate important concepts like equality and justice, conservation and respect for the Earth will be paramount to the cultures that evolve in the generations yet to be.

At its core, tradition is about familiarity.  Traditions create a sense of continuity for those that practice them.  Tradition, as I see it, must act in three ways.  It must remain relevant, it must have a purpose (such as a lesson to teach) and it also must recognize the past while acknowledging the present.  The purpose of holding hands and being thankful for our meal is to place ourselves in communion with one another and the Earth as we undertake the process of taking in life sustaining energy from the Earth.  We rely upon our ecosystem for sustenance and that ecosystem is as much a constantly moving and changing force as we are.  When we share a meal as a family it is a point where we can all enjoy that communion with one another.  It brings a sense of normalcy in a changing world that connects us as a family between our day to day tasks.  In that sense, every living organism is constantly adapting to its environment to sustain it's energy and human beings are no different.  We may believe that we have brought our environment to heel, but the manner in which we have done so makes us ill more than it feeds our bodies.  Every meal is a reminder of the fact that we have either sacrificed our resources or resources have been sacrificed for us.  As all resources come from the Earth, it is the Earth we should be thankful to for her bounty.
It is important to be thankful and in large part I see this tradition as just that, a way of being thankful.  It transcends past, present and future in a way that allows us to recognize what we should be thankful for.

When I begin sword practice I salute the Earth and pledge my Sword to her service and the service of my community.  To do this I first release the sword from it's scabbard.  I then touch the blade to my forehead where my third eye is.  Depending on the sword I use, this is either the unsharpend back of the blade or the flat of the blade.  I envision blue electricity arcing down into the Earth beneath me, suffusing the ground.  From there, I draw energy up through these electric roots, through my third eye, into the blade and then raise my blade to the sky connecting sky to Earth.  I then extend my arm straight out, envisioning that energy flowing from my third eye to the sword.  I pay attention to my heartbeat and this energy begins to take on the rhythm of my heart as it surges.  I thank the powers for another day, another opportunity to seek balance and another chance to be of value to my community and by extension, the Earth.  I open my eyes and return the sword to it's scabbard before I begin practice.  It is a simple ritual and I hold this energy while I practice, then ground it out when I am done.

The reasons for this simple exercise are varied but it boils down, again, to being thankful.  I am essentially joining my energy with that of the Earth and the Sky, becoming a conduit between them.  In a manner of speaking, I feel much like a lightning rod because the interplay of energy between Earth and Sky is constant and does not require me to act as a conduit in any way.  On the other hand, by connecting to these energies I am focusing them through myself.  I connect directly with the forces of nature that exist both within and without.

In September, I attended a “Pagan Weaving” ritual, the experience of which I shared in this blog a couple of months ago.  The second ritual of this kind undertaken annually, it is exactly the kind of tradition that I am talking about and one that I am excited to have been present on the ground floor for (at least for the second year).  The organizers of this ritual comprise those that will be instructing me at Druid College which I am slated to depart for in a day's time.  While I have several ideas about creating traditions that will provide direction and inspiration for future generations, I have no doubt that my education in this direction will help me breath fire into them.

My experience in writing this series of posts has been inspiring for me and in certain ways very inspiring also.  I've wanted to write something like this for a very long time and never managed to really get my thoughts in order around it.  Quite frankly, I feel as though I am leaving a good deal out already.  The good part is that I can always write more and as time continues flowing outward, perhaps I will too.

We all live in an uncertain world that is beautiful and perhaps a bit more dangerous than we would like.  The dangers we face in the world are often boiled down to physical dangers like muggers, murderers, rapists and abusers but those are not the only dangers we face.  We face the danger of spoiling the ground we walk upon, the water we drink and the air we breath.  Is it not time to create a tradition of Warriors that has a desire to address all of these things instead of simply the "obvious" problems?

As I mentioned only two paragraphs ago, I will be attending Druid College for the next 3 years, two of which will be "classroom instruction".  In that time, I hope to begin the process of not only creating new traditions for my tribe but also having ideas and inspirations I have yet to imagine.  However, the time has come to stop sitting upon the sidelines and its time to get into the fight.  To that end, within the next few months, I will begin building an Order of Warriors.  It is not for me or anyone else to "redefine" the Warrior but I do believe that being proactive with an alternative definition is leading by example.  I don't know what it will be called and I don't know exactly what it will look like but it will begin when I have found at least 9 people who are willing to meet monthly for an afternoon of discussion and fellowship.  It will be open to anyone who wishes to be a part;  You need only be human and willing to be a resource of wisdom and aid for your tribe/community.  For those interested, I will provide more details as they come.

If we wish to pass down the wisdom of our own mistakes to future generations then it behooves us to begin now.  The Warriors of our past live on in us as the we will live on in the Warriors of our future.  Honor, tradition, loyalty and community are the things that will carry our message through the generations yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment